This is a great way to cook a large batch of root vegetables easily and with not a lot of prep. Feel free to add more variety or add more of your favorites to this blend.
- 2 Yukon potatoes
- 2 Red Rose Potatoes
- 12 carrots
- 3 yellow beets
- 3 red beets
- 2 Delicata squash
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- Sea salt to taste
- ¼ C extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400˚
- Wash and peel all of the vegetables. Cut into medium thick slices and make sure they're dry
- Place everything except the red beets into a large roasting pan.
- Pour the olive oil on top, sprinkle liberally with salt.
- Mix the oil into the vegetables and lay the sprigs of thyme on top
- Place the red beets into a single layer on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil and salt. Note: The reason you do this is that you don't want the red to bleed onto the other vegetables.
- Place everything into the oven and set the timer for 45 minutes. At 45 minutes, stir the vegetables to rotate them. Don't be too vigorous as you don't want to break the pieces up.
- At 60 minutes, check for doneness - if soft, then you can turn off the oven and let them sit for another 20-30 minutes, or serve immediately.
You can easily add 1 yellow onion thickly sliced and 1 head of garlic finely chopped.
You can add cracked black pepper and other spices, such as Rosemary, Sage, Marjoram
You can blend in 1 cup of Pesto to liberally coat the vegetables after they are cooked.
You can also add various squashes, fennel, parsnips, turnips and rutabagas.